Thursday 20 September 2007

Capital Radio...

A day listening to Capital FM has confirmed the reason why it is now no longer Number 1 in London - it's rubbish.
As many of you know, Capital only play two commercials in a row - and seemingly not very often, either.
I am in the minority in as much as I love listening to radio commercials. Many find them unbearable (content wise, a lot of them are - but it's my bread & butter so I am listening from a creative & professional point of view) but after listening to much of the programming, I was gasping for a 4 minute ad break.

I know people may think I am always slagging radio off, but, and I want to reiterate this point, it's out of love for what should and can be an amazing medium. I'm always disappointed to hear bland, homogonised content because it can easily be so much better.

London is an amazing city - with a diverse population. Capital, instead of trying to cater for everyone with cultural and diverse programming, have taken the "inclusive" route of putting on shows and music that no one loves but that no one complains about. Unfortunately, this seems to be the rule of thumb for stations across the country.

No comments: